Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Chromebooks - hobbled by lack of keymap configuration

For years I've been watching the Chromebook trend, waiting for it to deliver on the promise of lower priced simpler computers, but unwilling to use these budget slow 10-11" toys. Well, I recently found a piece of Chromebook hardware I actually like. The HP x360 Chromebook has USB-C charging, a 14" screen, and a decent enough Intel processor to feel like a real laptop (at least in chrome).

Update:  I've been able to mitigate these issues, by swapping the Control and Alt keys in Chromebook configuration. As a side effect, this produces PC-like cut-copy-paste physical motion, instead of Mac-like. That's fine for me, but YMMV. 

However, beyond trivial browsing, I find it virtually unusable, because I keep instinctually hitting alt-left to go to beginning of line (because that's how it is on the Mac), and it keeps doing browser-back and eating my typing into web pages. It's happened three times tonight already.

I want to throw this thing into the wall so hard it will break into a zillion pieces so it will never steal any of my work ever again. The only thing stopping me is the motivation to write this post so I can make sure it never eats any of your work.

Apparently google has decided to map browser-back to alt-left and beginning-of-line to search-left, and there is no way to remap them, because, well, i have no idea. People hack around Chromebook keymap issues with custom keyboards and extensions, but it's not possible to remap this, because it's not a key, it's a key-sequence that chrome interprets. I could swap the alt and search keys entirely, but then anytime i pressed alt I would get search, which seems even worse.

The irony is.. I don't want a browser-back shortcut at all. I always disable it on windows and mac laptops. I can handle actually clicking on the browser back button when I want to use it.

If you are a fast typist, and you are used to using Command-Left on the Mac, consider seriously whether you will be able to control yourself before you buy a chromebook.


No comments:

Post a Comment